Monday, May 3, 2010

Beat.

FRIDAY AFTERNOON- Kentucky Oaks!


WHAT a week I've had!  Matt has been on the road in Scranton and Buffalo since Tuesday and I've been on the go with Derby festivities galore!  It has been incredibly fun and well worth the late nights and early, groggy mornings but today I am completely depleted and ready to get back on a routine.


Although this goes without saying, I'll say it anyway- in Louisville, the Derby is a HUGE deal.  It is a week and a half long city-wide celebration filled with festivals, parties, galas, celebrities, eating, drinking, dancing... oh, and some horse-racing - its what I've been referring to as a "marathon of partying".  And I've successfully and happily completed that marathon all in one piece- woo hoo!  I've included a few pictures from the past week- simply too much fun.  And I am so glad that I had Derby to keep my mind off missing Mo all week.  Now that things are winding down, the dull ache that I've had missing him has turned into a much more intense one- Wednesday morning could not come soon enough!  Although he was sad to have missed out on all the Derby mayhem, he was so happy that I had plenty of friends and fun to keep me occupied on this long road trip.  


I spent most of the week with my dear friend Kristen, who lives and works in the city as a reporter for WLKY and who I met last summer while living in Louisville.  She had her twin sister, Deanna, in town for Derby week and many other friends around to hang with us.  We had a blast all together- I couldn't have asked for a better group of socialites and dance-floor-lovers, like myself, to celebrate with.  I also had a slew of high school and college friends drive in Saturday just for Derby day.  So, even though it rained in buckets on Saturday for Derby, it was fun tailgating in the parking lots before the race with many friends I hadn't seen in years and then trucking through the mud and crowds in the infield at Churchill Downs later on.


Now the Kentucky Oaks race on Friday was much better weather (clear skies, sunny, 75 degrees!) and with just a small group, us girls sat in the stands where we could actually see the races and enjoy a less intoxicated crowd.  We had a blast in our big hats and pretty dresses - sipping lillies and enjoying a scene that only comes around once a year.


Yesterday was spent laying on the couch recovering from one too many vodka/club sodas and way too little sleep in a 72 hour period.  Today was spent sweating out those vodka/club sodas back in the hot room (yoga) and deep cleaning the apartment after housing all my muddy guests Saturday night.  Now its time for bed and a good nights sleep to completely refresh me :)  Stay tuned for more pictures from the actual Oaks and Derby (don't have all of them yet...)


WEDNESDAY NIGHT - Red Carpet at Prime Lounge

THURSDAY NIGHT- Derby Hats and Drinking Cups


THURSDAY NIGHT- Red Carpet at Ferdinand's Ball at the Frazier Museum


Having fun with photoboothlive.com


FRIDAY NIGHT- Dinner, Drinks, and Dancing at Captain's Quarters

SATURDAY AFTERNOON- Kentucky Derby Day!


1 comment: