Saturday, July 11, 2009

Baseball does not define us...



So, after taking a look at my last couple of posts, it occurred to me that it may look like we live for baseball- which is not the case at all.  Although it is a very big part of both Matt and I's lives (obvi), it does not define us by any means.  Baseball is a job, an exciting job, but a job nonetheless and we work to live- we no not live to work.  I think a lot of young players and especially players girlfriends/fiances/wives lose some of their sense of self to the baseball life (mostly unintentionally) because they become so immersed with baseball, baseball, baseball.  And without even noticing, they become baseball- eating, breathing, sleeping it.  So, then, instead of me being Kalee... I would hypothetically become just Matt's wife/baseball wife allowing baseball to completely define me and everything about me.  I see it soooo much in our lifestyle.  And I am determined not to let it happen to me.  Or Matt.

Getting on with it then, heres what going on in our lives:

We just got back from the Indy/Toledo road trip last Thursday night.  I went home to visit my family for the week and turn in my leased Honda Accord.  Matt and I have decided to make due with one vehicle (his truck) for the time being simply because we have no need for two vehicles.  It is saving us a monthly payment and gas money not to mention saving the atmosphere from unneeded smog emissions :)  So far, so good!

I have found an amazing hot yoga studio in L'ville and I am so stoked about it! Betsy's Hot Yoga Louisville... I'm practicing about 4 times a week and loving every freaking second.  The instructors are awesome and the heat is an amazing cleanser.  It has been such a powerful spiritual experience so far, not to mention an excellent physical challenge.  I absolutely love it.  I miss Go Fitness tons!  I miss having my workout partner, Lyndsi, to lift with 3 times a week!  However, the Bats do give us a membership to a place called Louisville Athletic Club where I spend 3-4 days a week to get my strength training in ;)  It is a large facility and although it does not have the neighborhood gym feeling or the funky gym toys of my fitness center in Columbus, it has more than enough equipment to get the job done.  

Lucy and Gus are excellent!  They spent the week on "doggy vacation" (in the kennel) while we were away in Toledo/Huron.  I think they had a good time- they weren't traumatized or anything afterwards...  I've been taking them for hour-long walks down by the river 3-4 times a week and they love every minute of that!  They usually take a little break to jump into the river to cool off and get a drink- its too funny watching them wade around and lap up the river water.  Its definitely a small joy in my day to walk them :)

Matt and I met with the priest that is going to marry us this November- Fr. Dave Nuss of St. Mary's Sandusky... he was truly AWESOME!  A very laid back guy, he chatted with us about the hectic lifestyle we live and the powerful effect it can have on our relationship if we choose to love and live intentionally-- which we do.  We were both really excited after meeting with him to know that we have another strong supporter of our marriage.  We got to do a little walk-through of the church too and WOW!  It was soooo much prettier than I remembered.  Wedding plans are coming along nicely... 

The 3 day All-Star Break is coming up this Mon-Wed.  We are kicking off the break with Matt's teammate Jared (Burton) and his girlfriend, Audrey.  We're planning on heading to Jared's place in Cincinnati Sunday evening where Jared is going to grill us some deer meat- mmm! Then, Matt and I are spending the rest of the break up at my good friend Johnny's lake house- about 45 min north of Cincy.  Its a good-sized, rustic A frame overlooking a small lake.  We are so excited for the break!  We are planning on having camp fires, going fishing, relaxing on the dock, kayaking, letting the pups swim... it'll be just our style.

There you have it- a little bit about what's going on in our lives (other than baseball- wink wink).  We are both so happy right now.  We are so blessed to have each other and everything we need.  We are learning and growing together.  And loving every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment